Table of Contents
As we usher in the New Year, it’s the perfect time to revitalise our skincare routines, to try something new, or commit to doing our routines every day. Winter brings unique challenges for our skin, with cold, harsh weather often leading to dryness, irritation, and a lackluster complexion. This year, let’s focus on nurturing our skin, adapting our skincare to meet the season’s demands. Whether you’re battling dryness, managing oily skin, or looking for solutions to keeping skin at its best, we’ve got you covered here at Blue Labelle. Embrace winter with a refreshed skincare routine tailored to rejuvenate and protect your skin.
Understanding Winter Skin Needs
Winter’s chilly winds and low humidity levels can strip the skin of its natural moisture, leading to dryness, flaking, and sensitivity. Indoor heating further exacerbates this, resulting in a dehydrated, dull complexion. Perhaps like me you cycle to work in freezing weather then go and sit next to a radiator, talk about conditions for a skin freak out! It’s essential to adapt our skincare routines to combat these effects. This involves incorporating products that not only moisturise but also strengthen the skin’s barrier against environmental aggressors.
Skincare for Dry Skin in Winter
For those with dry skin, winter can be particularly challenging. It’s crucial to focus on deep hydration and nourishment. Make sure you’re moisturising twice a day, still wearing your sunscreen, and cleansing with luke warm water every day (not hot!).
- Start with a gentle, hydrating cleanser to avoid stripping the skin of its natural oils.
- Apply a hydrating serum rich in hyaluronic acid to retain moisture.
- Use a rich, emollient moisturiser to lock in hydration.
- Don’t forget sunscreen, even on cloudy days.
- Remove makeup and impurities with an oil-based cleanser.
- Use a gentle cleanser for a second cleanse.
- Apply a moisturising night cream or oil to deeply nourish the skin.
- Consider a hydrating eye product to soothe the delicate eye area.
Skincare for Oily Skin in Winter
Oily skin can still suffer from dehydration in winter. The key is to balance hydration without clogging pores. Contrary to old-school beliefs oily skin types DO benefit from using oils like in facial and cleansing oils, theses product types actually help the skin to produce less sebum, as well as producing clearer thinner sebum that doesn’t clog pores. Cleansing with oils is the best way to de-clog pores of daily dirt, grime and sebum build up, and cleansing oils won’t dry out the skin, like many other cleanser for oily skin can.
- Make sure you cleanse to remove excess oil from the night, a konjac sponge works nicely.
- Apply a lightweight moisturiser.
- Opt for a non-comedogenic sunscreen.
- Double cleanse, starting with a cleansing oil followed by a foaming or exfoliating cleanser.
- Use a light hydrating serum or essence.
- Apply a gel-based moisturiser to hydrate without heaviness.
Skincare for Ageing Skin in Winter
Ageing skin requires extra care during winter, with a focus on hydration and repair. Like the dry skin tips make sure you are cleansing and moisturising daily. We know it can be a pain to do so, especially if your bathroom is cold in winter! But you will see the skin benefits to keeping up a regular and thorough cleanse & moisturise routine; and doing this will help keep your skin at its best as you get older. Skincare is self-care, so look forward to cleansing your skin in the evening, and applying your favourite products afterwards to moisturise and rejuvenate your skin.
- Start with a hydrating, non-stripping cleanser.
- Use an antioxidant-rich serum to combat free radical damage.
- Apply a moisturiser with peptides or ceramides to support skin elasticity.
- Finish with a broad-spectrum sunscreen to prevent further aging.
- Cleanse gently to remove makeup and pollutants, exfoliation is also key.
- Incorporate a retinol product or anti-aging serum to stimulate cell renewal and collagen production.
- Use a rich, nourishing night cream or oil to support skin repair.
- Consider a collagen supplement to support your skin and skincare regimen.
This New Year, make a commitment to your skin’s health by adapting your routine to the winter months. Whether your skin is dry, oily, or ageing, a targeted approach can make all the difference. Remember, the key to effective skincare is consistency and choosing products that suit your skin type and concerns. As you integrate these routines, feel free to personalise them with your favourite Blue Labelle products, ensuring your skin stays radiant and protected all season long.